Saturday 9 August 2014

The King in the house: The Shining

So, I thought of writing about the latest book that I have read.....

The Shining  by Stephen King

I had read one of King's book earlier, and I found it quite interesting. So, I thought of ordering one more book, and that happened to be "The Shining". 

It took me about 7-8 hours to read the novel. Pretty impressive if you ask me, considering the no. of pages and the size of the font of the book. I was able to achieve this feat mainly because the novel, in itself was very impressive.

King has done a wonderful job in writing the novel. Though it may appear that the first part of the novel is a little slow, but King makes up for it big time during the second and the third parts, when the suspense reaches at its epitome.

It was after a long time that a novel had actually scared me, considering the fact that the supposedly 'ghosts' or the supernatural beings weren't creepy, as you may find in other novels. The way King had brought the sense of eeriness in even the everyday objects, and the way he had written about a psychologically disturbed mind is just amazing.

We can see that in many novels, there is a protagonist and there is an antagonist but the way King has even JUSTIFIED the antagonism part of the novel is just exemplary.

Though, it is quite an old novel, as it was published in 1977, I am all praises for this novel. This is one of those books, that once you read them , you won't want want to re-read them. Not because they aren't good, but because of the memories of the goosebumps, you got the first time you read the novel.





No comments:

Post a Comment